November 18, 2014
Owning an Addison-built home means living in a healthy, highperformance home with a variety of components – comprehensive air sealing, quality-installed insulation and high-efficiency windows, just to name a few – that will increase your comfort and lower your utility bills this winter.
All of our ENERGY STAR-certified, energy-efficient homes come equipped with an HVAC system designed and installed for optimal performance; a comprehensive water management system to protect foundations, roofs and walls from moisture damage; and energy-efficient appliances and lighting to provide quality performance and longevity. To complement the benefits of living in an energy-efficient home, here are five energizing tips to save money this winter:
- LAUNDRY – Wash your clothes in cold water whenever possible (heating water can account for up to 30% of the average home’s energy budget).Clean the lint trap in your dryer before each load so clothes dry faster which, in turn, saves money.
- NATURAL SUNLIGHT – Draw back curtains on south-facing windows during the day to naturally heat up your home with the sun; close curtains at night to retain interior heat.
- PROGRAMMABLE THERMOSTAT – Installing a programmable thermostat maximizes savings without sacrificing comfort, trimming an estimated $180 a year from your energy bill by automatically reducing heating or cooling when you need it least. For example, you can program a pre-set schedule that sets the thermostat to 68°Fwhile you’re awake, then lowers it by 10° to 15° at bedtime.
- SHOWER POWER – Reduce water consumption – and save money on water heating costs – by installing low-flow showerheads and taking showers instead of baths. Showers can account for up to 2/3 of your water heating costs, so consider making them a little shorter; cutting your shower time in half would reduce your hot water expenses by 33%.
- WINDOW COVERINGS – Window coverings come in a variety of colors and designs – and materials. Choose thermal curtains or insulated drapes/shades on your high-performance windows. This insulates the room and reduces the amount of air emitted between the window and rest of the interior.
Addison Homes is the premier builder of SC custom eco homes. We build throughout the Upstate, either on your lot, in Trailside (our new neighborhood adjacent to the Greenville Hospital System Swamp Rabbit Trail), or in the community of your choice. So if you’re in the market for a new healthy, highperformance home, call us at 864-848-2667.
Latest Blog Posts
DOE’S HOUSING INNOVATION AWARDS PROGRAM RECOGNIZES NATION’S TOP BUILDERS ON THE PATH TO ZERO ENERGY READY HOMESTwo Addison Homes projects have earned 2016 Housing Innovation Awards from the U.S.... Read more
Addison Homes won the Southern Home & Garden Bridge Award for Green Building for the third consecutive year.This award-winning green home enjoys a savvy-yet-simple aesthetic – neutral palette,... Read more
We are pleased to announce that Addison Homes has received a 2015 Housing Innovation Award from the U.S. Department of Energy. A new home builder in Greenville and Upstate SC, we are being recognized... Read more